Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Pussy Willows and Squirt Guns



     Happy Dyngus Day!  If you knew from the title that this post would be about a special Easter Monday celebration, then you must be from either Buffalo or Poland.  If you have no idea what I am talking about, then go immediately to The Official Dyngus Day Description Page to learn more.  While I am not Polish, I am from western New York and I have been schooled in this special post-Lenten celebration for years.  I thought the silly tone of the day was a perfect time for me to write a limerick.  Limericks are more common than Dyngus day, but if you need a refresher on this form, check out Wikipedia.
 Dyngus Day
by Melinda Harvey

On the day after Easter, my young son
was looking to have Dyngus day fun
with pussy willow in hand
and a good Polish band
He met a sweet girl with a squirt gun!

   Clearly, I am no Edward Lear, but hopefully you get the point.  Both points actually...a limerick is a light, silly poem that follows a specific pattern.  Dyngus day is a celebration including polka music, pussy willows and hopefully finding your true love!  This is a poetic marriage made in Polish heaven!

1 comment:

  1. Yes!! Middle School love via squirt gun. Darling. I NEVER heard of Dyngus day. I came to feel more like I knew Buffalo after reading Big Russ and Me!! Did you read it? I loved it and miss Tim Russert. As a son, he really "got it" and I felt after reading that how lucky he was to grow up in Buffalo. Though I don't recall hearing about this celebration. Gotta' love the cultures where lots of fun and smiles and polkas abound. And pirogies!
    Cento was the other name of a poetry form I was thinking about. Thanks for sharing some great ideas today. I am just sorry I could not make notes! Surely made my trip go by quickly!

    ReplyDelete