Monday, April 16, 2012

Take Me Out to the Ballgame


     I woke up this morning with the tune of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" prancing through my head.  I knew immediately that today would be the day that I would write a parody.   A parody, as defined by Paul B. Janecko in his book "How to Write Poetry, is an exaggerated, usually humorous imitation.   You have probably heard many parodies before.  It's the kind of poem/song where someone takes an original song and rewrites the words.  Weird Al Yankovic is an artist who has made a living by doing parodies of popular songs and their music videos.                                                                                               
     I would be remiss if I didn't mention my children's favorite author of parody...Alan Katz.  If you don't know Alan's very funny work with turning songs into silly dilly songs, check him out here.  If you enjoy parody, you won't be disappointed.
    Today, I am heading back to school after a week-long vacation.  If you are too, you might enjoy my parody today!


Not Ready
By Melinda Harvey

I'm not ready to go back
I need just one more day.
I loved my time on va-ca-a-tion
Going back now would just be a sin
Don't forget your new
pencils. Please make them
nu-um-ber two
For it's E L A
right away
Back to school for you!

     Now that I have that tune running through YOUR head, go try to write a parody  of your own.  Have a great day back to school!

1 comment:

  1. The first time I read this one through, I did not hear the tune in my head. (Went into "plain reader mode.") So I re-read it and heard the baseball song and voila.....it was perfect. You know, I always said I needed one more day! Always. Good luck with ELA. I have been ENJOYING the POEM FARM more and more. The kitty poem and the one at Greg's today are just great. I LOVE how AMY combines words. Happy teaching and poet-ing.
    Janet

    ReplyDelete